Monday, March 15, 2010

Eyes

So there is this line you hear it a lot, or at least I do. "The eyes are windows to the soul" call me cheesy, because a part of me really believes this. I mean of course some people have been absolutely evil but have had nice eyes for example H.H. Holmes, a raging psychomaniac, who terrorized the Chicago World fair during and before the 1890s. But I digress...

The point of this post is to one, talk about my odd love of eyes. You've heard me make reference to this cute kid in one of my classes who has the most clear blue eyes I've like ever seen and his best friend has eyes like an "icy moss"(I reluctantly quote Sashi, we are in the middle of an argument). So eyes are pretty. Yeah.

But I was wondering if everyone else puts as much thought into the eye color of their characters as I do. Because I think about it a lot before I make a decision. Like for Mitch, I wanted his eyes to be welcoming and warm so he got a nice hazel, and Darren he's new and fresh and bright. He's what Kali needs. So he of course gets minty green eyes. Kali, she was spunky and spontaneous and her eyes had to reflect that change, hence the blue (I also wanted them to stand out against her dark brown hair) which if you know anyone with blue eyes reflect the owners feelings like they're written across their face. Seriously I have blue eyes and when I'm happy they're really bright and when I'm sad they're really cloudy.

Then Declan he was brooding and dark, but I wanted Ashlyn to be able to see the beauty in his eyes anyways so he got grey eyes. I also wanted Ashlyn's eyes to be something Declan could see all over the place, hence her golden eyes. He can't avoid the sun you know?

So back to the original question, does anyone else focus on the eyes like this? Or really any other aspect of your characters appearance, because you think it reflects their personality? I'm just wondering if I'm the only one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm, I never really thought that much about it! I just knew what color eyes my characters had, like it came with the package. Also, for some reason, I don't focus on the eyes too much, and I don't really describe them. I think it's because 'eyes' is on my list of Words I Use Too Much, so I only talk about eyes if I really have to.

Interesting to think about, though!

P.S. my word verification word is "Eyesions" Lol!

Hayley Lovell said...

Kat- Eyesions I like the sound of that, hehe. But for as much as I focused on them here, I don't focus as much on them in the story itself, just a couple of mentions here and there. It is odd isn't it?