Wednesday, January 2, 2013

4th Annual No-Kiss Blogfest!

Every year I try to participate in this wonderful event known as the No-Kiss Blogfest, hosted by the awesome Frankie Diane Mallis.

This year I'm a little late to posting, mostly because I'm not sure how I feel about this scene, it needs a lot of work, but for right now I think it will do. Please forgive whatever grammar mistakes I've most definitely made, I'm still trying to hone my skills in that area.


--


Caleb stumbled into their room; with ever falter in his step his grip around Teagan tightened. She was trembling in his arms, her knuckles clenched white against the fabric of his shirt; her hand clasped so tight he could almost feel the pulse in her fist against his chest. Her breathing and the sloshing from the whiskey bottle she had in her free hand were almost in perfect harmony with his hurried heavy steps.   
“Caleb,” she hiccupped; her voice soft against the cotton of his button down, “I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay.” He lowered her onto the bed, dislodging the bottle from her hand. She pulled her legs up against her chest, burying her face into the pillows. Caleb stepped away from her, rubbing his slowly swelling jaw, and took a sip directly out of the bottle.
“Nothing is okay,” she grunted, sitting up. The aftertaste of cheap vodka was still hot on her tongue, she licked her lips.
“He didn’t hit me that hard,” another swig. As the sweet liquid dripped down his throat its slow cool burn began to numb the throbbing which had started to blossom along his jaw line.
“You didn’t have to do that you know. I could have handled myself.” Her voice was harsh; she shoved herself off the bed and started walking towards the bathroom.
“Excuse me? Just a second ago you were apologizing. I just carried you all the way here. The least you could do was say thank you.”
“I wasn’t apologizing for that. And I could have made it by myself.” The water started running, but the door was wide open. He walked towards it
“Sure, you could have.”
“I mean it!”
“Then what the hell were you—” he stopped dead, whiskey bottle half pressed to his lips. Teagan’s long sleeve shirt was abandoned on the floor right next to the sink; leaving her clad in nothing but her navy lace bra and black skirt.  Her back was to him, her bare shoulder blades covered with bruises, spider webs of broken blood cells extending down her spine.
Teagan turned towards him. The canvas of her skin displayed a color spectrum ranging from black to jaundice yellow. Anger flashed through him, his fingers wrapped around the neck of the bottle clenching and unclenching as he tried to calm himself. Someone had hit her, someone had hurt her, and he wanted to hurt them.
“Teagan,” he lowered the bottle, taking a step towards her, shaking with anger.
“They’re nothing. Don’t look at them.” She stepped towards him, reaching out for the bottle. He let it go and she pressed it to her lips, meeting his eyes for only a second.
“No questions, remember?” she took another sip and closed her eyes.
He placed his hands on her bare shoulders, running his fingers along the green and yellow bruises that painted her.
“Teagan, who—”
“Don’t look at them.” She shrugged him off taking a step back into the bathroom, pressing the bottle back into his hand, her curls falling in front of her speckled eyes.
“Teagan,” his voice caught.
“I don’t want your pity okay!” she snapped, folding her arms against her chest, doing so exposed her ribs. They were a deep purple with tiny splotches of deep red peppering the dark hues which ran the length of her torso, for a second he thought he could make out the imprint of a boot in one of the dark swirled designs.
“Teagan—” he took a step towards her, hand outstretched.
“I said don’t look at them! I know they’re hideous okay? You don’t have to look.” She was trembling again, and he could just see the tears starting to brim in her eyes.
“I’m sorry,” he whispered stepping closer to her. She hiccupped, using the back of her hand to wipe her eyes.
“Teagan,” he was inches from her now, his fingers just barely brushing the tinted skin of her shoulder blade.
“Stop saying my name!” she spun round, and found herself just a breath away from him. He reached out, pulling her into his arms careful not to squeeze her bruises too tight.
“Teagan,” he whispered, burying his face into her bright red hair. “I’m so sorry.” She started to cry, trembling as he clutched her closer.
“You’re beautiful you know that? They aren’t who you are, they aren’t…you didn’t deserve this. I promise you, I…” he was at a loss for words.
“Please,” she pulled away from him to look up into his eyes, “stop apologizing.”
“You’re just…you didn’t deserve this.” She went to pull away and he tugged her closer, “I want you to know, you’re still…you’re beautiful.”
“Stop lying to me.” He reached out for her chin and tilted her head up towards him. He started to lean in; she could smell the sweet whiskey on his breath, as he cradled her in his arms.
Her heart began to pound, the alcohol making her dizzy. She wanted him to crash his whiskey tinted lips against hers, to wrap herself around him and let him kiss her until she couldn’t even remember her own name. But she didn’t want it out of pity.
Teagan jerked away from him, stumbling across the tile. “Get out, please. Get out.”
He didn’t move, just staring at her, eyes glued to the marks dancing across her flesh.
“I said get the fuck out!” She pressed her hands to his chest, and shoved him out the door. He stumbled into the bedroom and she slammed the door in his face.

---

So here is my fourth entry! I cannot believe I've been a part of this thing for four years now, it is absolutely fantastic. I hope everyone has a wonderful day filled with absolutely no kissing whatsoever! I'm off to read what everyone else had to share.

17 comments:

Loralie Hall said...

Wow, such an intense, heavy scene. So heart-wrenching and beautiful - fantastic choice!

jaybird said...

This is one of my favorite blog hops too. I always try and participate. I think this was a good piece Haley. Thanks for sharing.

Mia Hayson said...

Very powerful scene!!

<3

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I like the way you're painting a person sliding into darkness, making the choice to numb herself rather than accept help.

I adore this blogfest, too!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

OMG I LOVE it! That was so intense and well done! *high five* Also, I loooooove the name Teagan! Thanks so much for participating for 4 years in row!!!! You rock, Hayley!

Anonymous said...

I loved Teagan's strength in this scene. Awesome!

blankenship.louise said...

Good stuff! But... sweet whiskey? I've never thought of it as sweet.

prerna pickett said...

that was a beautifully written and painful scene. Good job!

Amalia Dillin said...

wow. the imagery of the bruising is fantastic and so awful. I completely feel for them both!

Larissa said...

Wow. Great post! Very powerful and raw. Loved it!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

I had to come back here and say I kept noticing your comments on other No Kiss posts --all thanking people participating and I thought that was so SUPER sweet of you:-)

Tamara said...

Very intriguing scene. Poor girl. Really liked this.

And yeah, this blogfest is definitely one of my faves I've been in!! :)

The Blogger Girlz said...

That was an awesome scene, so descriptive! Woo! I <3 this blogfest too! :)

~Ella

The Notebook Blogairy said...

That was really intense, Hayley. Teagan does not leave your mind even after you finish the story and are doing other things -- that's the mark of a fantastic character. Well drawn and well done!

Issy said...

This was heartbreaking and powerful. A great 4th year post!

Charity Bradford said...

Wow, there is so much pain in her. I hope he doesn't give up because it looks like she really needs someone to love her. Great entry!

sorry I'm so late in getting over here.

Anonymous said...

This maybe the Neanderthal macho man in me speaking, but who ever did that to Teagan just earned himself a life time of pain.

Great stuff.