Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Week 21: The Next Big Thing

 So, after over two months of bloging silence, despite my desire to be bouncing about at the top of my typing lungs, I have been lured back onto the posting side of the blogsphere by none other than my lovely friend Ella, of The Blogger Girlz. It has been awhile since I participated in anything like this, so unfortunately depending on how it goes my Next Big Thing line might end here. But no worries I will do my best to assure next week, whomever has stumbled across this post, will have another blog to hop over to.

So the rules are:

*Answer the following questions about your WIP and then tag five people who will talk about
their WIP next week!

Sounds fun, right? :)

Let's get started!

What is the working title of your book?



The current WIP I am working on has been dubbed, Ragtop.
 
Where did the idea come from for the book?

Honestly? I was day dreaming about hot wiring a car. Not that I could successfully do that, or drive away with it as I 1) have no license and 2) can't drive. Yeah, I'm a super functioning college student.
 
What genre does your book fall under?

Contemporary YA.
 
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

No clue. Maybe Emma Stone because she has red hair. And I love her. But most likely not, seeing as if it ever gets finished or published I doubt it would be made into a movie. Or if it is that it will happen anytime soon. I'm rambling, so to conclude I have no idea who I would like to play my characters, I think I'd let the people making it surprise me.
 
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
After hot-wiring a car in a funeral home parking lot, and then sweet talking the cars owner into ignore the transgression and joining her, Teagan begins a trip cross country to escape her brother's murderers.
 
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
No idea. I'm not ever going to rule out the idea of self-publication, it is a reasonable path to take. Though I personally would like to one day be represented by an agency, so it won't be the first thing I head for.
 
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Uh...I've been working at it on and off for almost two years now. But in my defense I'm a double majoring full time college kid with two other jobs...and unfortunately that means this part of my life has to come second a lot of the time.
 
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
 
Um, any road trip books. Like Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson (I managed to read that in between classes a week or so ago, so good). And then I suppose it is also similar to This Lullaby and What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
 
No idea. I've always been encouraged by my family and friends, and Teagan just kind of walked into my head and started bossing me around. Then as my life changed, she did and started telling me things I hadn't considered up until that point, I think that is going to help make it a deeper, more developed piece.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

My sassy red headed protagonist and her saucy runt of a pit-bull puppy. His name is Tavish, because my parents wouldn't let me adopt a puppy of the same breed (and name bestowed by me) two years ago.

As for the people whom I would like to continue with this hop, I will email around and get back to posting later. If anyone who reads this wants to be tapped, hit me up in the comments!

No comments: